3G USB MODEM ZOOM 4595

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 15 00:18:29 UTC 2010

On 03/14/2010 02:27 PM, zongo saiba wrote:
> Thanks, I used the usb-modeswitch but I eneded up loosing the use of all
> my usb ports. Where did i go wrong ?

Please bottom post on this list - thanks :-)

As mentioned previously, "I'm unfamiliar with the command". But can find
no bug reports or information indicating that the package & command
would do this. See:
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-modeswitch/+bugs?field.searchtext=&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INVALID&field.status%3Alist=WONTFIX&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.status%3Alist=FIXRELEASED&assignee_option=any&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.bug_supervisor=&field.bug_commenter=&field.subscriber=&field.tag=&field.tags_combinator=ANY&field.status_upstream-empty-marker=1&field.has_cve.used=&field.omit_dupes.used=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.affects_me.used=&field.has_patch.used=&field.has_branches.used=&field.has_branches=on&field.has_no_branches.used=&field.has_no_branches=on>

You may wish to file a bug report:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-modeswitch>
But before you do that there a couple of thing you can do first:

1. Detail exactly what has occured; how you installed the package & if
you obtained any errors during the install. How you used the command.
Whether rebooting the machine has any effect. What errors you are seeing
in the error logs (/var/log/dmesg, messages etc). What hardware?

2. From a terminal provide the outputs of:

a. without any usb devices plugged in:
$ lsusb
$ dmsg | tail

b. now with a usb device plugged in (mouse, usb stick, modem, whatever):
$ lsusb
$ dmesg | tail

3. You can try the most recent version by downloading the lucid deb file
& installing:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/usb-modeswitch
  click on the version you require (amd64 or i386) under 'Download
usb-modeswitch'.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/amd64/usb-modeswitch/download
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/i386/usb-modeswitch/download

Note: you must also download the usb-mode-switch-data .deb and install
it first:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/usb-modeswitch-data
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/all/usb-modeswitch-data/download
click on a mirror near you to download. You can then use Nautilus to
install by double-clicking on the .deb files.
Remember install in this order:
usb-modeswitch-data
usb-modeswitch
You might also wish to consider purging the older karmic version before
installing the lucid version.

4. If all else; purge the packages:
$ sudo apt-get purge usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data
and restart.