3G USB MODEM ZOOM 4595

zongo saiba zongosaiba at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 23:11:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 17:18 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> [...]
> > my usb ports. Where did i go wrong ?
> >

> Please bottom post on this list - thanks :-)
>
> As mentioned previously, "I'm unfamiliar with the command". But can find
> no bug reports or information indicating that the package & command
> would do this. See:
> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-modeswitch/+bugs?field.searchtext=&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INVALID&field.status%3Alist=WONTFIX&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.status%3Alist=FIXRELEASED&assignee_option=any&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.bug_supervisor=&field.bug_commenter=&field.subscriber=&field.tag=&field.tags_combinator=ANY&field.status_upstream-empty-marker=1&field.has_cve.used=&field.omit_dupes.used=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.affects_me.used=&field.has_patch.used=&field.has_branches.used=&field.has_branches=on&field.has_no_branches.used=&field.has_no_branches=on>
>
> You may wish to file a bug report:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-modeswitch>
> But before you do that there a couple of thing you can do first:
>
> 1. Detail exactly what has occured; how you installed the package & if
> you obtained any errors during the install. How you used the command.
> Whether rebooting the machine has any effect. What errors you are seeing
> in the error logs (/var/log/dmesg, messages etc). What hardware?
>
> 2. From a terminal provide the outputs of:
>
> a. without any usb devices plugged in:
> $ lsusb
> $ dmsg | tail
>
> b. now with a usb device plugged in (mouse, usb stick, modem, whatever):
> $ lsusb
> $ dmesg | tail
>
> 3. You can try the most recent version by downloading the lucid deb file
> & installing:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/usb-modeswitch
>   click on the version you require (amd64 or i386) under 'Download
> usb-modeswitch'.
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/amd64/usb-modeswitch/download
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/i386/usb-modeswitch/download
>
> Note: you must also download the usb-mode-switch-data .deb and install
> it first:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/usb-modeswitch-data
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/all/usb-modeswitch-data/download
> click on a mirror near you to download. You can then use Nautilus to
> install by double-clicking on the .deb files.
> Remember install in this order:
> usb-modeswitch-data
> usb-modeswitch
> You might also wish to consider purging the older karmic version before
> installing the lucid version.
>
> 4. If all else; purge the packages:
> $ sudo apt-get purge usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data

I have purged all and reinstall first usb-modeswitch-data and restarted.
I do not lose my usb port anymore. The zoom modem is not mounting
anymore as a storage device and I think it turns into a modem but not
recognized by networkmanager. I have found a script callled sakis3g
which actually detects my modem. It tries to connect but does not
recognized my 3G network. Therefore the connection does not go through.
I am enclosing a log below:

USB description data (for identification)
-------------------------
Manufacturer: USB Modem
     Product: USB Modem
  Serial No.: 1234567890ABCDEF
-------------------------
Looking for active driver ...
 OK, driver found ("usb-storage")
 OK, driver "usb-storage" detached
Setting up communication with interface 0 ...
Trying to send the message to endpoint 0x01 ...
USB error: could not claim interface 0: No such device
usb_os_find_devices: Found 003 on 002
skipping descriptor 0xB
skipped 1 class/vendor specific endpoint descriptors
skipped 6 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
skipping descriptor 0x25
skipped 1 class/vendor specific endpoint descriptors
skipped 9 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 002
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 008
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 007
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 006
usb_os_find_devices: Found 009 on 001
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 001
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 005
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 004
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 003
USB error: error sending control message: Connection timed out
Error: could not get description string "manufacturer"
USB error: error sending control message: Connection timed out
Error: could not get description string "product"
USB error: error sending control message: Connection timed out
Error: could not get description string "serial number"
 OK, message successfully sent

Checking for mode switch (max. 20 times, once per second) ...
 Waiting for original device to vanish ...
 Waiting for original device to vanish ...
 Original device can't be accessed anymore. Good.
 Searching for target devices ...
  searching devices, found USB ID 04f2:b19a
  searching devices, found USB ID 1d6b:0002
  searching devices, found USB ID 1d6b:0001
  searching devices, found USB ID 1d6b:0001
  searching devices, found USB ID 1d6b:0001
  searching devices, found USB ID 1c9e:9603
   found matching vendor ID
   found matching product ID from list

Found target device 009 on bus 001

Target device description data
-------------------------
Manufacturer:
     Product:
  Serial No.:
-------------------------
 Found correct target device

Mode switch succeeded. Bye.

ok:1c9e:9603
(end of usb_modeswitch output)

Now checking for newly created serial devices ...
 new serial devices found, driver has bound

All done, exiting

I really dont understand why i cannot connect with my modem since it has
been properly detected by the system. Will give it another go tomorrow.