Upgrade to 2.6.31.20 on dual-boot laptops doesn't work

tudor tudor at timb.com
Tue Mar 9 17:39:17 UTC 2010

Hi.

I'm new to Ubuntu, which I installed on two laptops that also have
Windows (XP on one, 7 on the other). Everything was fine while I was
running 2.6.31.14, but I ran into problems when I (or rather the update
manager) updated to 2.6.31.20.
1. The dual-boot system with XP starts grub and I can't get it to do
anything beyond that point. (I can't get much out of grub anyway.)
2. The dual-boot system with W7 proceeds to the point where I can choose
which version to load. 2.6.31.14 works fine, but choosing 2.6.31.20
simply forces the system to reboot.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Tudor

--
tudor <tudor at timb.com>