Which ubuntu version install

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 14:29:56 UTC 2010

>>> If 8.04 doesn't work, try 9.10.
>>> If that doesn't work either, provide us with the exact error messages.

>> Given that you wanted to install 8.04, you might want to be more
>> conservative and install 9.04 rather than go for 9.10.

> 8.04 is LTS, but 9.04 isn't and neither is 9.10. I don't see the point in
> recommending a release that will go out of support before the end of this
> year.

> Wait 2 months and there is another LTS: 10.04

I did not recommend 9.04 because I thought that it is an LTS release
but because, since he wanted 8.04, I thought that 9.10 would be too
recent and untested. Even though I have not had problems with Karmic
(or even Lucid), you have to err on the side of caution if your goal
is stability. Look at RHEL and Debian; simply from a kernel
perspective, they are using 2.6.18 and 2.6.26.

I moonlighted this weekend and installed two 9.04 servers because my
client insisted on Ubuntu. He had requested 9.10 but I refused, and he
refused to go for 8.04; we agreed that I would upgrade the servers to
10.04 in June/July. I usually install CentOS on such servers (since I
work with RHEL) but if I install Fedora, I do not use the most recent
release either.