atrocious performance of adobe reader plugin

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 8 10:15:36 UTC 2010

Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Dave Howorth <dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I recently installed karmic, together with firefox and adobe reader with
>> its plugin. I'm finding that the performance when viewing PDF documents
>> in a firefox window is truly atrocious.
>
> I prefer the default PDF reader in Ubuntu, which is evince.
> t's really nice and does a lot of cool things, imo.

I want to use a browser plugin. evince is installed on the machine but
there appeared to be no firefox plugin for PDF until I installed
acroread. I don't see a separate evince-firefox-plugin package or
somesuch. Have I missed something?

>> I'm running across our LAN - firefox is on one machine with karmic,
>> while X is running on another machine on my desktop. I start firefox
>> with ssh -X.
>
> If you need to use a web browser across a lan, I'd probably go with
> something a little faster, epiphany is my main browser because of it's
> speed and small footprint.

I need to use firefox because of some plugins (e.g. zotero). The browser
performance is acceptable. It's the plugin that has major problems.

> You are using CUPS on the linux machine right? Or am I wrong and
> missed something?

I am using CUPS on all my machines. Printing is generally fine, it is
only the plugin that has serious problems.

Cheers, Dave