Ubuntu 9.04 and BBC Iplayer

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 5 19:26:14 UTC 2010

Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
> On 04-03-10 19:45, Chris Jones wrote:
>>>>
>>> 	Hmmm.... Sounds like troll bait, but I'll fire anyway. I work in a tech
>>> support center. I'll bet you couldn't do any of our jobs here.
>>>
>>> 	I'll give you a chance to correct your statement.
>> No need. I did say "most people" ;)
>>
>> Humour aside, OK, I agree my comment was a little argumentative, so if
>> any one is offended I'm sorry. I do stand by it though to the degree it
>> applies far too often than it should.
>>
>> A fried of mine, who works of a well known (huge) oil company, once told
>> me a story of how he was working on a linux box and needed to fix
>> something. He knew exactly what needed to be done, but couldn't since he
>> didn't have root access. He had to call up the company tech support, and
>> after explaining the problem the first question was "What is linux ?" ...
>>
>> Chris
>>
> It depends on the kind of tech support.
>
> There's the typical phone drones who work at ISPs. These people aren't
> terribly stupid, they just don't know any better. It's usually their
> first job after leaving school and these jobs have an average rotation
> of 2-6 months (after at most 6 months they leave the job and the call
> center has to find new people over and over again).
>

> And then there is level 3 support or the SWAT teams or the BOFH or
> whatever they are called locally. These people never come in direct
> contact with customers, and they only solve the most difficult (and most
> interesting) problems that cannot be answered by a decision tree or by a
> quick google search. These support roles often coincide with operations
> or infrastructure.
> If one of these people ever needs to visit you on site, you'll know that
> the shit has hit the fan... ;-)

	Then there's my team. Level 1 help desk, phone support. Our first-call
resolution rate is well over 80%. 16 people supporting 30,000+ clients.
Running anything form WinXP to Win7, Mac OSX 10.3 and up, and some
Linux. Supporting a very wide range of programs.
	And the guys here that have been here the shortest amount of time, have
been here for two years. A number of us have been here for 5+years.
	Yeah, I'm bragging.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818