Ubuntu 9.04 and BBC Iplayer

Amedee Van Gasse amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Fri Mar 5 07:33:42 UTC 2010

On 04-03-10 19:45, Chris Jones wrote:
> On 04/03/10 17:35, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> Chris Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> I suspect most people who work in tech support centres don't really know
>>> what they are doing, since if they did, they would get a better job
>>> elsewhere ...
>>>

>> 	Hmmm.... Sounds like troll bait, but I'll fire anyway. I work in a tech
>> support center. I'll bet you couldn't do any of our jobs here.
>>
>> 	I'll give you a chance to correct your statement.
>
> No need. I did say "most people" ;)
>
> Humour aside, OK, I agree my comment was a little argumentative, so if
> any one is offended I'm sorry. I do stand by it though to the degree it
> applies far too often than it should.
>
> A fried of mine, who works of a well known (huge) oil company, once told
> me a story of how he was working on a linux box and needed to fix
> something. He knew exactly what needed to be done, but couldn't since he
> didn't have root access. He had to call up the company tech support, and
> after explaining the problem the first question was "What is linux ?" ...
>
> Chris

It depends on the kind of tech support.

There's the typical phone drones who work at ISPs. These people aren't
terribly stupid, they just don't know any better. It's usually their
first job after leaving school and these jobs have an average rotation
of 2-6 months (after at most 6 months they leave the job and the call
center has to find new people over and over again).

And then there is level 3 support or the SWAT teams or the BOFH or
whatever they are called locally. These people never come in direct
contact with customers, and they only solve the most difficult (and most
interesting) problems that cannot be answered by a decision tree or by a
quick google search. These support roles often coincide with operations
or infrastructure.
If one of these people ever needs to visit you on site, you'll know that
the shit has hit the fan... ;-)