Live linux cd for a gateway 64- bit/32bit computer

John Heinen hensandpat at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 3 02:22:15 UTC 2010

rnr at sanctum.com wrote:
>> Christopher Chan wrote:

>>> Vista would not still be using fat32 would it now? It has got to be ntfs.

>>> Run 'fdisk -l' to see what partitions you have got.
>>> You can also type 'mount' and compare the list from fdisk and eliminate
>>> partitions from the list. What remains over will be one that holds Vista.
>>>
>>> I hope you have the ntfs-3g command. Although I suppose it would be okay
>>> to use the ntfs filesystem driver in read-only mode.
>>>
>>> Next would be something like this: mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/sda5 /mnt
>>>
>>> Try something leftover from the list fdisk gave you. If it is not an
>>> NTFS filesystem, it will simply refuse to load. You won't lose data.

>> Thanks Bob, I have a lot to learn it will be awhile to report succes. John
>>

> Yes, You will learn it. Just take your time and be patient. It will all make
> sense to you eventually. It is just a matter of learning how powerful the
> Linux way is.
>
> Take a look at what Christopher wrote. It adds to what I wrote and gives you
> other more advanced options and/or alternatives.
>
> Good luck. Make sure you reply with a "SOLVED" when you are successful and/or
> if you need more help or clarification just ask.
>
> Bob S

Sorry Bob and Christopher, i didn't give you all the facts but that is
on account of my limited knowledge.
The system is Vista 64 bit. We have windows vista and opensuse on the
same hard drive. Vista crashed( because the backup section reached it's
limit, or so it seems., therefore, I think, I can't get into windows to
locate and copy.
What I did : I used a Linux mint and qtparted to look at the hard drive.

On the hard drive we have as follows "according to qtparted"
partition size used space start end recovery
1 /dev/sda1 ntfs 15.54 gb N/A .o3 mb 15.54 recovery
2 /dev/sda2 nfts 115.55 gb 37 gb 15.54 gb

This indicates that the recovery part is full, my guess is that vista
will not work unless there is space for backup.
(The rest of the drive is filled up with opensuse, linux mint etc)
My guess is that if we could increase sda1 to resolve that problem, but
how? Vista sda2 sits right smack against it.
You might wonder why bother with this window problem, this is not
opensuse, well, when I upgrade suse and it is time to do so, I might
lose it all. Appreciate y'all patience John H