Page layout program

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 2 03:51:39 UTC 2010

On 02/27/2010 09:48 AM, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I need to place images and text onto a page in a matrix (creating many
> copies per page) and I need exact print positioning -- both width and height
> and position on the printed page.  I need to print out a lot of copies and
> physically place them on existing printed material, which is why I need to
> control positioning and size carefully.
>
> For simple tasks I've used OpenOffice with tables before, and I've also used
> Gimp.  Gimp works ok for a single image since I can specify the exact print
> size when printing.  But, it's harder for me if I have a matrix or multiple
> copies of the image on a single page.  OpenOffice Writer can specify tables
> but, it's really more of a writing program and I end up fighting with it as
> it tries to reformat.
>
> Seems I only need to do this kind of thing a few times a year -- and my kids
> need something that's pretty easy for their school projects.  So, can't be
> too much of a learning curve.
>
> So, I'm wondering if there's other favorite tools for doing simple graphic
> and text layout that you could recommend.

You've read the Writer documentation and explored frames?

http://documentation.openoffice.org/
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides>
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide>

<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Writer/GraphicsFramesObjects>

Also, it might be helpful to subscribe to the OOo user list:
http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html