ftpd and sshd?

Calcpage calcpage at aol.com
Thu Jun 24 21:16:00 UTC 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Calcpage <calcpage at aol.com> wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2010, at 7:41 PM, Johnneylee Rollins <johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> Ubuntu only has the SSH client installed by default, same goes with
>> the ftp client.
>> You have to choose and install your server applications.
>> openssh-server is the server, openssh-client comes installed on
>> ubuntu
>> by default. vsftpd is a server daemon as well, and ftp is a client
>> that comes preinstalled with Ubuntu.
>>
>> What do you mean about matching servers?
>> Why would you install the server without installing the clients, are
>> you that short on disk space you can't afford <5Mb packages?
>>
>> ~SpaceGhost
>>

> Sorry, bad choice of words!  I don't need matching servers.  I want
> the new server to replace the 2 old ones I have setup aleady (one is
> an FTP server, the other is an sftp server).
>
> Also, I should not install an FTP client or a ssh client if these
> are installed already, right?  Do I have to install a particular
> server due to the clients that are already installed?
>
> Last, but not least, can I run multiple services on one box?  For
> example,  can I run vsftpd and openssh-server on the same PC?
>
> TIA,
> A. Jorge Garcia
> Applied Math & CS
> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
> Sent from my iPod

Wow, this really annoying!  The tech guys ran 2 new Ethernet drops for
my new dual nic server.  Problem is that they are both on the private
network - no Ethernet!  I need one nic on the public network so I can
install stuff via aptitude and the other nic on the public network for
my kids to save their work via sftp.  I need to do an aptitude update
with canonical so I can install the jre plugin in firefox.  I also
have to install xournal, vlc, handbrake, vsftp and openssh-server.  I
am just sitting here spinning my wheels waiting for the tech guy to
reapprear....

Frustrated,