ftpd and sshd?

Johnneylee Rollins johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 21:56:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:57 PM, <calcpage at aol.com> wrote:

> OK, I don't need a mission critical server for my students.  So, I
> think that I will set up my new quad-core Xeon box with Ubuntu 10.04
> 32bit (not server) like I did my students's boxes.
>
> All I have to do is start ftpd and sshd, right?  Do I have to install
> vsftpd and openssh-server?

You'll want to install openssh-server
I would suggest you use vsftpd for security and speed as well as
group-based and user-based configs.
It can also support virtual users as well as system users. If you'd
like help setting it up, feel free to email me. I've set up quite a
few producton FTP servers for clients as well as F/OSS projects.I
personally prefer using berkelyDB for virtual users, it's simple to
set up.

You are aware that SSH has SFTP, right? It's a pain to jail, which I
don't like doing.

~SpaceGhost