ftpd and sshd?

Calcpage calcpage at aol.com
Tue Jun 22 22:10:57 UTC 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 5:56 PM, Johnneylee Rollins <johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com
 > wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:57 PM, <calcpage at aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> OK, I don't need a mission critical server for my students.  So, I
>> think that I will set up my new quad-core Xeon box with Ubuntu 10.04
>> 32bit (not server) like I did my students's boxes.
>>
>> All I have to do is start ftpd and sshd, right?  Do I have to install
>> vsftpd and openssh-server?
>>
> You'll want to install openssh-server
> I would suggest you use vsftpd for security and speed as well as
> group-based and user-based configs.
> It can also support virtual users as well as system users. If you'd
> like help setting it up, feel free to email me. I've set up quite a
> few producton FTP servers for clients as well as F/OSS projects.I
> personally prefer using berkelyDB for virtual users, it's simple to
> set up.
>
> You are aware that SSH has SFTP, right? It's a pain to jail, which I
> don't like doing.
>
> ~SpaceGhost
>>
>> BTW, Xeon is 32bit, really?  I read somewhere that is HP Proliant
>> server can reach 12 GFlops, but its not 64bit....
>>
>> Thanx for all your help so far on ubuntu-users, you guys are great!
>>
>> TIA,
>> A. Jorge Garcia
>> http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
>>
>> Teacher & Professor
>> Applied Mathematics, Physics & Computer Science
>> Baldwin Senior High School & Nassau Community College

Exactly, I have my students login to do their assignments in class, on
campus or from home via ssh in a terminal and sftp on a browser.

I use anonymous FTP simply to share files with them (I am the only
real user and only I can upload files via sftp).

Ar least that's the way I have my skackware servers setup and would
like to emulate the same thing using Ubuntu on my new server boxes.

BTW, the servers I am replacing have been running 24x7 for over 10
years!

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS