[Lucid] Networking + IPv6 (long)

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 09:23:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:24 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I've been following a few newsgroups/lists where folks are having
> networking issues after upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04. A rather
> interesting problem was on alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
>
>> The networking stopped working.
>>
>> So I partitioned to give me a 9.10/10.04 dual boot. Again 9,10
>> works 10.04 doesn't. Its the same network ports, cable, router
>> port, etc.
>>
>> The router is set to give DHCP. Both distros are set with
>> "Auto eth0", identical static IPs, gateway, DNS's and MAC
>> addresses for the card. Both distros use the same bios
>> settings for the  Realtek RTL8111/8168B rev03 express gigabyte
>> controller.
>> If I switch to DCHP on both again the 9.10 works, 10.04
>> doesnt.
>>
>> ethtool -i eth0 gives the driver as r8169 2.3LK-NAPI firmware
>> version bus 0000:02:00.0 on both systems.
>>
>> In case the kernel had been modified recently Ive just
>> downloaded 10.04 server and tried that but it cant connect to
>> find network time, a fresh download and install of 10.04 32bit
>> desktop gives the same problem - no wired networking.
>>
>> Ive replaced network manager on 10.04 with wicd and still the
>> same problem.
>>
>> Any pointers anyone??
>
> The solution (in this case) was:

>> Success!!!
>> Many many thanks Hadron.
>> I went to etc/sysctl.d and changed 10-network-security.conf by
>> adding the line
>> net.ipv6.bindv6only=0
>>
>> rebooted and up came the network.
>> Ive been working on this for a couple of weeks and thank you
>> all for your positive suggestions.
>>

> So I got poking around google & launchpad and found these:
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eclipse/+bug/541482>
> [eclipse unable to 'install new software']
> This comment in that bug report is of interest:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eclipse/+bug/541482/comments/29>
>
> and this report:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sun-java6/+bug/486215>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sun-java6/+bug/486215/comments/2>
> Upstream:
>
> Note that the OP in the first had networking working just find in 9.10,
> but not on 10.04. Same hardware, same machine, boot to 9.10 and all
> works, boot to 10.04 and no network. I'm wondering if perhaps others
> that have reported similar networking problems on the list may have been
> subject to the IPv6 issue.
>
> For those that have, can you please provide the output of:
> $ /sbin/sysctl net.ipv6.bindv6only
> and see if the response is:
> $ /sbin/sysctl net.ipv6.bindv6only
> net.ipv6.bindv6only = 0
> or
> $ /sbin/sysctl net.ipv6.bindv6only
> net.ipv6.bindv6only = 1

There was a discussion of this issue on debian-user in Nov or Dec. It
must have been on Squeeze which would make sense since 10.04 is based
on it. IIRC, it was a java bug.

IIRC (again), in the last few years, both ssh and nfs had issues with
this setting...

(If there's one area where developers are way ahead of the curve, it is ipv6...)