Ubuntu Lucid 64bit

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 17 18:30:29 UTC 2010

On 06/16/2010 08:13 PM, GNUbie wrote:
> Hello Christopher,
>
> First of all, thank you for taking some time to answer my e-mail.
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:15 AM, GNUbie wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> My Ubuntu Lucid 64bit machine is going 4 days old in a few hours. I
>>> found out that I got some logs that made me worried. Some of the
>>> information about my system and the logs are listed below:
>>
>> --snip ACPI errors in log--
>>
>>> Any help to fix the above problems will be much appreciated. Thank you
>>> in advance.
>>
>> Try updating your BIOS to the latest version. Besides that, try adding
>> acpi=off to your kernel parameters for booting.
>
> Noted. But what about the crashing issue of the Adobe Flash Player
> which directly affects the web surfing experience and the overall
> system performance which sucks up a lot of CPU resources?
>
> Jun 15 18:47:32 lucid kernel: [84050.107849] npviewer.bin[30765]:
> segfault at 418 ip 00000000f6036a56 sp 00000000ffa53978 error 6 in
> libflashplayer.so[f5de8000+b04000]

nspluginwrapper is the issue & the bug reports are full of segfaults:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nspluginwrapper

This one is pretty active:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nspluginwrapper/+bug/178038?comments=all>
[npviewer.bin crashed with SIGSEGV - started in 2007]

What you might do is have a look at your ~/.xsession-errors file to see
if you can spot issues there. Mind you, if you decide to post the file,
please use pastebin instead of the list:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/
Open the file:
$ gedit ~/.xsession-errors
select all & paste. Then advise of the url.