64-bit - Not recommended for daily desktop usage

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 06:25:17 UTC 2010

> 1. You need to download dual versions of many applications. For example,
> if I update a version of 32bit xyz I can generally transfer that to my
> other 32bit machines w/o issue. However, for my 64bit machines, I then
> need to go out and also download the amd64bit version. Thsi causes a lot
> of added download overhead.

OK, but that is not really a 32 bit or 64 bit issues. It is a problem
of having 2 types of machines. It is also not likely to effect someone
that does not know anything about 32 vs 64 bit or their existence IE
you are not a newbie.

> 2. You can't always get application 64bit builds, or can't get them at
> the same time as the i386 builds.
>  Quite often you'll find that updates from the Ubuntu repositories are
> available first in i386 & sometimes days later in amd64. The recent
> example for the flash 10.1 security update is a good example; the update
> is available for i386, but who knows when it will be available for 64bit?

That is very interesting. Is it just a matter of priorities with the
devs? Only having 64 bit, I did not know this.

> 3. You can't get amd64 builds/packages. Other times you simply can't get
> a 64bit build for a package/application at all. This means that you need
> to resort to a 32bit build & hope that it works. Sometimes it does,
> sometimes it doesn't.

I run all sorts of software. I have never had this problem in the last
2 years; before that yes. Do you really still have this problem with
Linux? What software?

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!