Please, Ubuntu, do not embarrass me again!

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 05:23:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 07/06/10 23:34, Tom H wrote:

>>> Nobody is stopping you from using pulseaudio. The problem is that it is
>>> installed by default and does allow the sound to work for most people
>>> (read the questions in this ML about people having problems with getting
>>> sound when installing Ubuntu).
>>>
>>> Install alsamixergui by default so that people can get to see all the
>>> parameters available to get sound working - which pulseaudio does not
>>> allow as I have already explained - and then if you want to stream or
>>> whatever your sound then install pulseaudio.

>>> Exactly. Why should a PITA app. like pulseaudio cause such hassles with
>>> sound for people installing Ubuntu?
>>>
>> I can't begin to understand why anyone would want to use pulseaudio on
>> OSX given how many problems it creates on Linux and how smooth the
>> audio experience is on a Mac (or even on Windows).
>
> Umm, in Windows there is no sound until you install the driver for your
> sound card. Have no idea about the Mac.

The great majority of Windows users buy it pre-installed with all the
drivers for that box's hardware.

For OS X, everything works out of the box whether you get it
pre-installed or do a bare-metal install because Macs are built with a
limited number of hardware configurations. Quite frankly, I tell the
traders and brokers at work (for whom price isn't a factor), to buy
Macs when they ask me what they should buy; especially since they all
have iPods and iPhones (and now iPads) and are therefore familiar and
comfortable with Apple's style and way of doing things.