Networking on my karmic laptop doesn't work any more!!

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 8 21:34:30 UTC 2010

On 06/08/2010 02:12 PM, drew einhorn wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> Can you try:
>>>
>>> $ killall gnome-panel
>>>
>>> and see if that brings up the NM applet?
>>>
>>> If so, have a look in ~/.xsession-errors to see if you can spot
>>> anything obvious there.
>>>
>>> Let's try to get the NM applet back & then we'll work on the others.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be easier to just use the command
>>
>> nm-applet
>>
>> in a terminal instead of killing apps? I mean, I don't use Gnome, so I'm
>> not sure if that would work, but IIRC it worked when I was using
>> Xubuntu.
>
> That sounds like a good thing try.
>
> And it gives a couple errorr messages.
>

> drew at drew-s10:~$ nm-applet
>
> ** (nm-applet:10743): WARNING **: <WARN>  request_name(): Could not
> acquire the session service as it is already taken.  Return: 3
>

> ** (nm-applet:10743): WARNING **: <WARN>  constructor(): Couldn't
> initialize the D-Bus manager.
>
> But I don't know enough about the session service or the D-Bus manager
> to know what to try next.

That means that the applet is running. You'll be able to verify by:

$ ps -e | grep nm

The result should be:

$ ps -e | grep nm
 <pid> ?        00:00:00 nmbd
 <pid> ?        00:00:01 nm-applet

If that is the case, then it's possible that the icon is actually there
& hidden by another icon. On the icons that you have in the area where
NM normally is displayed, try moving them around just to check.