Networking on my karmic laptop doesn't work any more!!

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at
Tue Jun 8 21:12:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at> wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> Can you try:
>> $ killall gnome-panel
>> and see if that brings up the NM applet?
>> If so, have a look in ~/.xsession-errors to see if you can spot
>> anything obvious there.
>> Let's try to get the NM applet back & then we'll work on the others.
> Wouldn't it be easier to just use the command
> nm-applet
> in a terminal instead of killing apps? I mean, I don't use Gnome, so I'm
> not sure if that would work, but IIRC it worked when I was using
> Xubuntu.

That sounds like a good thing try.

And it gives a couple errorr messages.

drew at drew-s10:~$ nm-applet

** (nm-applet:10743): WARNING **: <WARN>  request_name(): Could not
acquire the session service as it is already taken.  Return: 3

** (nm-applet:10743): WARNING **: <WARN>  constructor(): Couldn't
initialize the D-Bus manager.

But I don't know enough about the session service or the D-Bus manager
to know what to try next.

Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
  --  Yogi Berra