wacom ctl460 tablet and 10.04

jack wallen jlwallen at monkeypantz.net
Tue Jun 8 00:07:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 07:08 +0100, John D Lamb wrote:
> I have a CTL-460 and got it working without any problems.

> These instructions should work. I used almost identical commands. There
> is a more recent linuxwacom-0.8.6-2.tar.bz2 file you can use.

another interesting issue:

if i issue the command

lwallen at jack-main:~$ xinput list

⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer
(2)]
⎜   ↳ KINESIS FREESTYLE KB700 KB700 Kinesis Freestyle	id=9	[slave
pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse         	id=10	[slave  pointer
(2)]
⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation        	id=11	[slave  pointer
(2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard
(3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard
(3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=7	[slave  keyboard
(3)]
    ↳ KINESIS FREESTYLE KB700 KB700 Kinesis Freestyle	id=8	[slave
keyboard (3)]

notice the wacom isn't listed. even though the module is loaded and it
is registering input with wacdump - it does not show up with xinput.

> > already tried this. every time i run:
> >
> > sudo rmmod wacom
> >
> > i get the error:
> >
> > ERROR: Module wacom does not exist in /proc/modules
>
> I get the same message. Ignore it. It just says you don’t have a wacom
> module installed.
>

> > if i run the sudo modprobe wacom and then the rmmod wacom i get no
> > errors but the tablet does not work.
>
> This is not surprising. I tested this to make sure I got the same
> effect. I did. The modprobe wacom command installs a kernel module while
> the rmmod wacom command removes it. If you remove the kernel module the
> tablet will stop working.
>
> > I can see, through dmesg, the
> > tablet is seen by the system.
> >
> > any thoughts?
>
> The tablet should work (no restart of X required) after using
>
> $ sudo modprobe wacom
>
> If it does not, try downloading the 65-xorg-wacom.rules file from
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/40046048/65-xorg-wacom.rules
> and copy it (sudo cp …) to /etc/udev/rules.d/65-xorg-wacom.rules. This
> is the only extra file I have. I don’t know if it’s needed for the
> CTL-460 tablet because I installed it for another tablet. You should not
> need any modification to /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you are using Lucid.
>
> --
> JDL

jack wallen
Leonard: Homo habilis discovering his opposable thumbs says what? Kurt:
What?
Linux uptime: 20:06:48 up 1 day, 10:39, 2 users, load average: 0.74,
0.79, 0.77