How do I get root access to delete a few folders

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 6 22:35:22 UTC 2010

On 06/06/2010 01:17 PM, mdovell at comcast.net wrote:
> I use a kindle with the calibre program and calibre needs to
> recognise a folder on it. Unfortunately what it did was it somehow
> missed it and keeps creating duplicate folders that cannot be
> deleted.
>
> Basically I have a few folders in the /media area that need to be
> deleted. They do not give me the option of unmounting them.

Can you list them:

$ ls -al /media/<unwantedfoldername>

and provide the output of mount?

$ mount

$ gksu nautilus
$ cd /media

Should give you the ability to delete them. Warning! be careful as gksu
gives you superuser access & you can end up deleting critical system
files if you do not know what you are doing.

> In attempting to unmount them I receive the following error "DBus
> error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.NotFound: The given mount
> was not found"

I suspect it may be a gvfs issue _similar_ to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/251991

Also try:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=kindle>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/calibre>