problems with 'x' ing programs in 10.04 remix using gnome option

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jun 6 15:28:27 UTC 2010

Hi Gary

On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 09:40 -0500, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 6 June 2010 12:34, Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> When you log in to the Remix version you can choose the Netbook 3d, 2d
> >> and  gnome options.  When I chose the latter I can not close programs
> >> using the convenient 'x' but must instead use file/close or right
> >> click on the icon in the panel and then click unmaximize.
> >>
> >> I can not find any comments on this perhaps because I do not know what
> >> to call the 'x' option.
> >
> > I am not exactly sure if we are talking about the same mode of
> > operation, but for me when the window is maximised there is for most
> > apps an x for closing at the left hand end of the row of indicators at
> > the top right of the screen.  i.e. left of the volume control, network
> > status etc.
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > --
>

> That is what I am missing on some applications (Firefox and gedit for
> example) while others work, e.g. rhythm box.
>
> I have attached a screen shot, you should be ab le to see there is no
> 'x' option, maximize or minimize.
>
> gary

Looks like you have a well known bug in the upgrade from Karmic to
Lucid. What you are missing is the 'Window decoration' i.e title bar and
borders that you can re-size with.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/467668

(If the description here doesn't look relevant, look at some of the
duplicates as well)

Did you have anything enabled in System > Preferences > Appearance >
Visual Effects? If this was None, then I sorted it out by
renaming .config/gnome-session (in my home folder)
to .config/gnome-session.old. Just did this in the File Browser with
Show Hidden Files enabled (Ctrl-H). Then re-booted.

Other people seem to have more deep seated problem, possibly because
they had Compiz enabled (System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual
Effects as Normal or Extra) so this simple fix is not enough (see the
bug and its duplicates).

Give my fix a try.  It won't hurt, anyway.

Tony