Dual boot with PCLinux???

Thomas Blasejewicz thomas at s7.dion.ne.jp
Sun Jun 6 02:14:33 UTC 2010

Henry Dubb さんは書きました:

> Never, never accept the options from the distribution. Choose
> partition manually. Install the distribution you'll use most last.
> Always make sure you have a partition ready prior to an install.

Now, THAT seems good advice. Since I know very little about Linux
(computer in general), I always trusted the default options provided
during setup etc.
Yesterday night I DID reinstall Ubuntu 10.04 and chose "side-by-side"
with the existing PCLinuxOS.
But upon boot I am asked what I want to boot from. There is a list
starting with Ubuntu 10.04.
At the bottom there are THREE options for PCLinuxOS:
linux-on
linux-nonfb
failsafe

**ALL** options lead to the same error message:
Kernel panic (wonderful expression!) - not syncing
VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)

I will probably spending the entire afternoon to reinstall the whole
thing (again and again ...)
So much for the "Linux simply works. Out of the box." The catch phrase
found in almost book about Linux.

Wish me luck ....