Upgrading Virtualbox

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Fri Jun 4 14:14:49 UTC 2010

Liam Proven wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM, NoOp<glgxg at sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>> On 06/03/2010 07:52 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>> I'm running Lucid 10.04 which installed Virtualbox OSE 3.1.6.  I would
>>> like to install an OS that recommends Vers 3.2.  How can I upgrade to 3.2?
>>>
>>> Thanks,  Jim
>>>

>> If you follow Liam's advise you will be downloading and installing the
>> VirtualBox Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL) version _not_ the
>> OSE version, which is what you said you want.
>
> Perhaps you read the message differently to me. My take was that Jim
> was running OSE and wanted to go to the latest&  greatest. Perhaps I
> was wrong.

At the time I was just thinking about upgrading OSE, but only because I
had completely forgotten about PUEL.

> Personally, TBH, I don't see anything wrong with the freeware PEUL
> version. It's not hobbled with any "non-commercial use" or similar
> caveats or gotchas: you can use it for anything you want, anywhere you
> want. They just ask for - not demand, request - payment for multiuser
> site-wide rollouts. Seems very fair to me.
>
> This being the case I've never even bothered looking at the OSE. Why
> accept the compromises, unless one is a FOSS purist? (In which case,
> one would probably not be running proprietary OSs under VMs!)

I don't have any hangups about FOSS, right now it's just a matter of
caution.  I have some important information in a XP VuirtualBox setup
and my backup solution stopped working.

Regards,  Jim