Upgrading Virtualbox

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 13:48:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 06/03/2010 07:52 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> I'm running Lucid 10.04 which installed Virtualbox OSE 3.1.6.  I would
>> like to install an OS that recommends Vers 3.2.  How can I upgrade to 3.2?
>>
>> Thanks,  Jim
>>

> If you follow Liam's advise you will be downloading and installing the
> VirtualBox Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL) version _not_ the
> OSE version, which is what you said you want.

Perhaps you read the message differently to me. My take was that Jim
was running OSE and wanted to go to the latest & greatest. Perhaps I
was wrong.

Personally, TBH, I don't see anything wrong with the freeware PEUL
version. It's not hobbled with any "non-commercial use" or similar
caveats or gotchas: you can use it for anything you want, anywhere you
want. They just ask for - not demand, request - payment for multiuser
site-wide rollouts. Seems very fair to me.

This being the case I've never even bothered looking at the OSE. Why
accept the compromises, unless one is a FOSS purist? (In which case,
one would probably not be running proprietary OSs under VMs!)

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508