Evolution vs Thunderbird

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Tue Jun 1 18:59:42 UTC 2010

Hi, Mark!

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Mark C. Miller <mr.mcmiller at gmail.com>wrote:

> When I began using Ubuntu, I used Evolution for a couple of mailing
> groups I belong to.  I used it mostly because it came with the OS.
>
> I know some of the users here rely on Thunderbird.
>
> I've looked at the two's on-line sites but would be interested in any
> user feedback folks here might have.
>
> You can reply off-list if this is inappropriate for the general list.
> Address is: mr.mcmiller at gmail.com

My problem with Evolution is that for work, where I have hundreds of nested
folders on the server, Evolution is painfully slow when openning. I don't
know if it's scanning them all every time... but it's very slow.

Thunderbird shows no such issue.

So I use T-bird.

Now with Lightning, it also has the calendar that Evolution has.

The address book features aren't as nice as Evolution... but Evolution,
methinks, is more for people who are used to Outlook and don't want to
change useage paradigm... but want something without the security issues of
Outlook.

Thunderbird requires some adjustment and re-thinking (compared to
Outlook)... but again, it's a question of personal preference.

Gilles

--
Gilles Gravier - Gilles at Gravier.org
Using Google Apps web mail