Dual Boot, Twice?

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Tue Jun 1 03:50:16 UTC 2010

On 06/01/2010 10:32 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/31/2010 07:13 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> GNU GRUB version 1.98-1Ubuntu5
>
> Duh. I should have noticed this.
>
> Perhaps Goh or Tom might be better assisting on this one.
>
> My suggestion at this point would be to boot into 'Ubuntu, Linux
> 2.6.32-21-generic' and reinstall grub2. But recommend you wait until Goh
> and/or Tom H offer their suggestions.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, NoOp.
The reason I didn't reply (yet) is that his message is confusing and I
am waiting for him to clarify to Karl's message.

The OP, firkin, is aussie so I don't think it's a problem with his
english. (Fair Dingkum, mate) - I can guess the following, but I often
find my usual rational assumptions wrong.

He wrote:
> After the upgrade finished it booted once then I couldn't boot into
> Ubuntu.It didn't show up in the boot menu.

then..
> Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.32-21-generic --(selecting this works)--
> Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.32-21-generic (recovery mode) --(selecting this works)--

I assume this is after he run grub4Dos.

I assume his 'fdisk-l' and 'sudo update-grub' is run in livecd.

nlfirkin, can you confirm you can boot into lucid, ubuntu 10.10 and not
the livecd? It doesn't matter if you use grub4Dos to do that.
How many (hard) disks do you have?
Is your 9.10 in grub=legacy or grub2? (see NoOp's "grub-install -v")
Can you list down the partition of ubuntu lucid '/' ?
Is there a separate partition for /boot?

I was tempted to ask him to install 'grub-pc' after booting up but that
will be assuming too much.

Regards - Goh Lip