VNC vs RDP (was Re: vnc)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 31 03:22:42 UTC 2010

On 07/30/2010 07:42 PM, A. Jorge Garcia wrote:
> Thanx, Preston and NoOp, I think I'll try your suggestions when I get
> mu iPad.  I'm supposed to get one next school year to replace my Slate.
>

> Will xrdp/rdesktop/gnome-rdp also allow my iPad to remotely control my
> Ubuntu laptop over rdp?  BTW, I don't think the iPad has BlueTooth, so
> I suppose I will have to get a USB WiFi Dongle as the iPad has WiFi or
> WiFI + 3G.  My Smart Airliner Slate (from the SmartBoard peeps) is
> really a Wacom Gaphire 6x8 and it connects to my desktop (Ubuntu and
> Wonfows) via a USB BlueTooth Dongle.

Yes. On a Win machine you can rdp to the Ubuntu desktop with xrdp
running - works just fine. Runs the same as an NX session & you are
assigned a different x window (so you are not viewing/controlling the
same session window that may alread be logged in). No clue regarding the
iPad. According to:

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=ipad+%2Bvnc&btnG=Search>

and

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=ipad+%2Brdp&btnG=Search>

Indicates that iPad has "an app for that" to use VNC & rdp.