VNC vs RDP (was Re: vnc)

A. Jorge Garcia calcpage at aol.com
Sat Jul 31 02:42:04 UTC 2010

>> On 07/30/2010 02:38 PM, Preston Hagar wrote:
>> or it is probably in Synaptic or whatever GUI program you might use
>> install apps.  You should be able to find VNC server setup tutorials
>> pretty easy.  That said, the main downside to VNC is that there is no
>> built in encryption, so your desktop can be intercepted.  (there is
no
>> built in encryption in RDP either).  Also, VNC is usually noticeably
>> slower than RDP, that is why I would recommend considering using RDP
>> for Windows machines and then possibly VNC for Linux machines.

>> On 07/30/2010 08:32 PM, NoOp wrote:
> $ sudo apt-get install xrdp
> Works well via tsclient for connecting to an Win machine w/rdp
enabled.
> rdesktop also works, but requires a little more configuration. You can
> also try 'gnome-rdp' - that works reasonably well.

Thanx, Preston and NoOp, I think I'll try your suggestions when I get
mu iPad.  I'm supposed to get one next school year to replace my Slate.

Will xrdp/rdesktop/gnome-rdp also allow my iPad to remotely control my
Ubuntu laptop over rdp?  BTW, I don't think the iPad has BlueTooth, so
I suppose I will have to get a USB WiFi Dongle as the iPad has WiFi or
WiFI + 3G.  My Smart Airliner Slate (from the SmartBoard peeps) is
really a Wacom Gaphire 6x8 and it connects to my desktop (Ubuntu and
Wonfows) via a USB BlueTooth Dongle.

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Teacher & Professor
Applied Mathematics, Physics & Computer Science
Baldwin Senior High School & Nassau Community College