copy and paste into terminal

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Fri Jul 30 18:47:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 10:04 -0400, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 9:54 AM, IdleOne <oneidle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > To copy from terminal: ctrl-shift-c = copy
> > To copy into terminal: ctrl-shift-v = paste
> >

> This is a window-ism isn't it? I just tried highlighting text in one
> terminal (konsole). Then ctrl-c, ctrl-v, and does absolutely nothing.
> You have to use the menu options (Edit, etc) for this. Or the
> traditional methods ...

You need the SHIFT key held down with CTRL-C to work in a terminal
window.  At least this is true for Gnome Terminal.  The reason is CTRL-C
is traditionally the process interrupt key.  These keys are configurable
in Gnome terminal.  I had to change them recently because shift-ctrl-v
is hardwired into VMware workstation Unity feature.

> The default linux has always been highlight with mouse (this
> automtically puts the highlighted content on the clipboard), then
> middleclick to paste (alternately shift-insert). It doesn't get any
> simpler.

This is X-Window copy and past behavior and not specific to Linux.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and
smoot at tic.com