vnc

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 11:28:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone have experience with vnc?? I have a vnc viewer open in a java app
> and I'm seeing me seeing me ...the hall of mirrors effect. My viewer is
> displaying my viewer is displaying my viewer, etc. This is all nifty and
> great psychedelic fun, but what would I send to the vnc server in order
> to open just an empty desktop??
>
> I'm currently serving iam:0 5900
> Would setting it to iam:1 or iam:0:1 or some such do the job?? I'm
> currently running 6 desktops now. Ric

I installed vnc4server, started it up with:

$ vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24

and connect to iam:1

The first time you start vncserver, you will be prompted to enter a
password.  This is a password for your VNC session.  You can choose to
make it the same as your login password, or to make it something
different.

You will probably want to edit the .vnc/xstartup script that will be
created for you, if you want a regular Gnome/KDE session.

--wpd