files with ".do" extensions

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 09:08:06 UTC 2010

On 30 July 2010 09:57, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 3:56 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 30 July 2010 01:32, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Unfortunately, the way Dish Network's web page is set up, viewing the
>> > document online is not an option; I must actually download the blasted
>> > thing
>> > in order to view it (My internet service provider is a different story;
>> > its website does allow me to view the bill online.) -- sorry if I wasn't
>> > clear enough about that.
>> > As far as my browser is concerned, I'm using Chromium 5.0.375.99 (51029)
>> > Ubuntu 10.04 -- FF doesn't like me and keeps on giving me an
>> > electronically
>> > raised middle finger.
>>
>> Just a thought, is it possible that you right clicked and did Save As
>> on the wrong link?  Thereby saving the web page itself rather than a
>> printable file?
>>
>> If not try downloading again and take careful note of what happens
>> when you click the download link.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>

> C.L.--
> Someone mentioned using the Adobe Reader.
> Unfortunately for me, however, the Synaptic Package Manager doesn't have it.
>  So I (after expending much in the way of blood, sweat and tears) eventually
> learned how to use the CLI to run the bin file -- and in the process
> discovered just why Linux seems condemned to occupy only 1% of the OS
> market; namely, that the CLI is an EXTREMELY unforgiving tool that also
> forces the user to brush up on his/her typing skills BIG TIME.  I
> practically developed a case of carpal tunnel syndrome just from all of the
> typing that I did!
>
> So -- after enduring all of the agonies that are unique to the CLI -- I was
> able to determine that the Adobe Reader does, in fact, print the graphics of
> a ".do" extension file adequately.  AND I DON'T EVER WANT TO HAVE ANYTHING
> TO DO WITH THE CLI EVER AGAIN! (I'd pontificate more on the evils of the
> CLI, but my wrists are too sore.)
> --N.B.
> See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html &
> http://www.openoffice.org (Nathan Bahn)

My money is on a misconfigured server that is not providing the
corrent mime-type to the browser (via a content type HTTP header).

1. Complain to them.
2. You mentioned printing the 'DO' file does that mean you have saved
it locally? If so what is the output if 'file <nameofsavedfile>' ...
that should tell us the file type... you might just want to rename the
extension to .pdf and see if that makes the difference for you.