How do I upgrade Ubuntu OS from the CD.

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Thu Jul 29 20:03:07 UTC 2010

On 07/29/2010 01:02 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 07:46 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:18:51 +1000
>> Stephen Michael Kuhn<yank.down.under at gmx.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> In all honesty - and this is not from a personal perspective, but
>>> from a consultant's perspective - unless there is something UTTERLY
>>> IRRETRIEVEABLE on that install, it's better to do a fresh
>>> installation than upgrade. The quantified time you spend backing up
>>> and doing a fresh installation is nothing in comparison to doing an
>>> upgrade - chasing down all the niggly bits that don't work properly,
>>> trying to resolve old issues that you thought were fixed, other
>>> system/OS related issues. However, the choice is yours to make.
>>>
>> I'm sorry, but I have to call FUD on that.  Ubuntu is the most easily
>> upgraded OS I have ever tried.  In all my upgrades (yes, up/grades/)
>> from Warty in 2004 it has been seamless and I have never once had to
>> chase down anything.
>>
> If all you have running is a "Hunt The Wumpus" server, I'd buy that.
> But, this list, and plenty others, are chock full of people smashing
> their install to smithereens with upgrades. The crying towel is soaking
> wet from those botched upgrades and I had it happen to me, a couple of
> times. I used to work for RedHat, so I usually have some sort of clue.
> I've even had a couple of beers with Mad Dog Hall and Evan Leibovich.
> They liked my redhot chicken wings at the last RedHat Expo in 2000. Mad
> Dog won the hot sauce eating contest that I threw, in front of several
> hundred faithful RedHat geeks.
>
> For the Joe Lunchbucket crowd, who are clueless about the contents
> of /etc/fstab and resolv.conf, (God loves them too) tweaking a few files
> is out of the question. So, sure, ...if you have the cojones, upgrade.
> Be prepared with backups. Or, back. p anyway and install everything
> fresh. Restore only things that do not upset the new install and the new
> scripts. Life is good and kind after that.
>
> Juggling some 28,000 files, with an upgrade script, can become messy,
> fast. Humans make mistakes 15% of the time. Ergo, the popular wisdom for
> the newbies and half-baked, is install fresh. Upgrading an "Old
> Version" (which is God only knows what) via a wireless connection is
> just asking for a kick-me session. What Marvin said, "It will all end in
> tears", comes to mind. That's my two cents worth. :) Ric

I'm a Linux Dummy. I know nothing about /etc/fstab and resolv.conf. I
fit your "Joe Lunchbucket" description. In other words, I'm what would
usually be a Windows user. BUT, I got sick and tired of the Windows BS.

HOWEVER, I somehow manage to upgrade and run a (K)Ubuntu system with a
minimum of fuss and bother. I usually upgrade for three or four [
haven't backed up anything on an upgrade yet - knock on wood - start
them and go to bed ], then do a clean install on a separate drive and
move things over to the new install that I want to keep. <DISCLAIMER> I
have very simple needs in my system. Surf, Image editing, webpage
creation and email. <END DISCLAIMER> I have very minor issues with
running my computer this way. I have two desktops, one laptop and one
net book. All work like a charm. I love using Linux.

My first Linux experiences was with SuSE, about 9.0. Over time I managed
to kill it off often enough to learn what not to do. Then I kept hearing
the buzz about Ubuntu so I decided to take a look. Two/three years on
now and I haven't looked back.