System Shutting Down Unexpectedly (Ubuntu 10.04)

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 00:27:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 16:56 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/28/2010 04:30 PM, Tom Browder wrote:
> > A few weeks ago my desktop system started shutting down into some kind
> > of sleep state.  In order to get it running again I have to push the
> > power on, then power off, and power on again.
> >
> > I have had the same problem with the latest couple of kernels.
> >
> > I have the same kernels on my laptop which is not having the problem.
> >
> > Both systems are 64-bit, but the desktop uses nvidia and the laptop does not.
> >
> > I can't see anything that looks like a problem in my logs that I recognize.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Had the same issue on one of my old test machines; problem was thermal
> shutdowns of the cpu. Sometimes bios would catch the shutdown and
> provide a 'thermal shutdown' error message, but most times not. Install
> lm-sensors & sensors-applet & monitor your temps & fans. This probably
> won't catch it completely either, but may give you some indication of
> what your system internals are doing.
>
> You may get lucky & just need to clean the fans, dust bunnys, and
> re-thermal paste the cpu. If not, you can also try bench stripping the
> machine (disconnect all but the most essential peripherals), check the
> voltages and letting it run continuously for some time to see if it
> still dies. If not, add another peripheral (that means NIC cards etc. as
> well), repeat.
>
> I'd be shopping around for a new motherboard were I you, because if it
> isn't a peripheral problem & the clean/re-thermal paste et al doesn't
> work it will be quite hard to catch. :-(

I had the same thing happen when my AMD-64 Desktop was brand new. It
would shut down completely at an unexpected moment. Sometimes
restarting, sometimes not. Nothing at all in the logs.

I insisted that the dealer replace the power supply and have never ever
had another problem of that sort. The only problems I DO have are
self-inflected. :) Ric