Find Big Files or Big Directories

Maxime Alarie malarie at processia.com
Wed Jul 28 20:07:42 UTC 2010

I have run the command in du -shc  / and here is the result:

Root#: du -shc  applications-merged bin boot dev etc home lib opt  root sbin selinux srv sys tmp usr var

12K     applications-merged
5.0M    bin
14M     boot
228K    dev
21M     etc
1.8M    home
118M    lib
408M    opt
369M    root
6.4M    sbin
4.0K    selinux
4.0K    srv
0       sys
499M    tmp
1014M   usr
52G     var
54G     total

There is also a 2nd disk mounted on /  in /backup   is it possible that this disk might be the source of all the data?

Also fdisk -l  /dev/sdb1 returns this:

root at olympe:/# fdisk /dev/sdb1
Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x6423dc3f.
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
After that, of course, the previous content won't be recoverable.

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 29658.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)