list mummies: lists.ubuntu.com is blacklisted

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 26 22:02:38 UTC 2010

On 07/26/2010 02:46 PM, Res wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 07/25/2010 10:52 PM, Res wrote:
>>> After receiving a good few complaints about no posts from this list on my
>>> corporate servers (and seeing now new posts on my pvt box here in over 12
>>> hours) I looked into and found this list is DNSBL'd
>>>

>>> NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from chlorine.canonical.com[91.189.94.204]: 554
>>> 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [91.189.94.204] blocked using
>>> dnsbl.sorbs.net; Currently Sending Spam
>>
>> Your using SORBS?... amazing. Matthew Sullivan will be pleased.
>
> Most large and small ISP's in AU use them, probably because they are AU
> based, and yep I know Matt/Michelle. I've never seen a FP from them in
> the 8 years or so I've used them, here, and commercially.

But, but... I'm going to sue! :-)

> I'm not saying this is the first FP, there very well may be a valid reason
> here, just we don't know it, I am aware of the listing criteria they have
> so I'd be satisfied whatever it was, was spam.
>
>> I've not seen any SORBS defined spam on this list lately, so no clue
>> what this "one spam" might be.
>
> The list server has several lists, someone may have tried to sub to one
> of them using a SORBS spamtrap address, someone may have spammed using
> another list, maybe anti spam filtering at your local (and mine) caught it
> and subsequently we did not see it, who knows, way too many factors
> involved.

True, I should have thought of that... duh. It must be 5 o'clock
somewhere - time to switch from coffee to scotch. :-)

Maybe the "out of office" msg from "Charles J. Infantino" that I've been
filtering. But I reckon that only the list.ubuntu.com admin will figure
that out when they request the block get removed.

G.