support for GPT partitioning schemes in 10.04?

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 05:36:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Ray Leventhal <ubuntu at swhi.net> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone knows how to go about adding support for GPT
> partitions on Ubuntu Desktop (32 bit) v10.04.

You have to partition your disk before installing Ubuntu. (Although,
if your disk is >2TB, GPT is supposed to be chosen automatically.)

You have to use parted because fdisk doesn't do gpt.

If you are using a Live CD, you should be able to partition the disk
by switching VTs during the install. This may also work with the
alternate iso (I've never tried either) but the mini iso only has
fdisk so pre-partitioning is the only option.

The first partition that you create can/should be very small; a few MB
should be amply sufficient because core.img can be as small as 32KB
and I doubt that it can be bigger than /boot/grub, which is 4-5MB,
IIRC. It should be a special GPT partition, a BIOS boot partition; the
parted command for setting this partition flag is "set 1 bios_grub on"
(assuming that this partition is the first; I am not sure whether it
really has to be the first or whether I prefer it this way as a
parallel to the MBR setup where core.img is embedded in the  62
sectors between the MBR and the first partition).