Question 3: Ubuntu - Medibuntu and Alpha 'releases'

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 22 06:35:31 UTC 2010

On 22/07/10 15:01, M Thomason wrote:
> On 22/07/2010 05:56, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> Form past experience of long-time users of Ubuntu, how long does it take
>> for a repository/ies relating to Medibuntu become altered to be able to
>> use the Medibuntu apps in an Alpha release of Ubuntu? At the moment I
>> have Maverick Alpha 2 installed but I cannot install the Medibuntu apps.
>>
>> A bit hard to test something when the Alpha is short of the "full quid"
>> for testing.
>>
>> BC
>>

> Aaaaaand going for the trifecta here :)

What are the odds on this trifecta? :-)

> I tried adding the Medibuntu/Lucid repository to my Maverick on the
> off-chance gamble that it would work, and it pulled quite a few packages
> from there all of which are working just fine so far.

Hmmmm, I'll have to try again (last time I tried was yesterday) but when
I tried to use the command line given in Medibuntu it comes up with the
error that it cannot find the Maverick repository.....

But I did find that Maverick seems to have overcome some of the earlier
Ubuntu maiden shyness and actually installs some apps which will allow
you to handle some multimedia, but not all (eg k9copy).

>    I think the
> Medibuntu packages are still ahead of the equivalent Ubuntu-official
> ones in Maverick (where they exist) and so will upgrade them if you have
> them installed.  Obviously something may possibly break further down the
> line and need fixing by switching to the Medibuntu/Maverick repo when
> they have that up, but all okay so far (touch wood).

BC

--
And God created Woman; and to repent He then created Beer.