where is the recently accessed file list stored

John D Lamb J.D.Lamb at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 20 06:47:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 11:32 +0800, yu huang wrote:
> I want to have a menu item in places where records the recent accessed
> directory.
> I am wondering where is the recent accessed document list stored in
> ubuntu?
> How does ubuntu track the recently accessed file?

There is no recently accessed file list. As far as I know no operating
system _automatically_ maintains such a list — there are just too many
files. Individual programmes like OpenOffice may maintain a list of
files they have used.

You can create a recently accessed list using

Places
  Search for files …

Choose a folder such as your home folder. Don’t search the entire file
system — that will take far too long — and unlike other OSs, Ubuntu
keeps your files separate from system files. Under

Select more options
add an option for

Date modified less than

and choose (say) 14 days.

This should find your recently-used files.

There are other solutions to this. You may have to look beyond the
Ubuntu catalogue to find them.

--
JDL