Grub Grief aGain

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Mon Jul 19 15:25:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 16:05:58 +0100
Dave Howorth <dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi, I'm having a bit more trouble with grub again. I've a box with
> both Ubuntu and openSUSE on various disks, using Ubuntu's grub2 to
> control booting. It was working fine but now grub is giving me 'you
> need to load the kernel first' errors when I try to boot openSUSE.
>
> I can still boot into Ubuntu (karmic) and I can see the partition that
> contains openSUSE. I've rerun update-grub but that didn't solve the
> problem. I'm stuck for ideas as to what might be wrong (perhaps
> because it's Monday?), so I'd be grateful for any ideas what to try
> next.

It would really help if you can explain what changed from "It was
working fine" to "but now grub is giving me 'you...."; for example...new
kernel update of openSuse? etc..

Also,
o  list partitions of /, /boot, if any, of Ubuntu and OpenSuse.
o  grub version of opensuse
o  kernel numbers of ubuntu and suse
o  initrd of suse  (have not used suse for a long time)