No login screen after splash

Jeff Hsu jeffhsu3 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 20:50:52 UTC 2010

Sorry if I mess up on any of the terminology, I'm new to ubuntu.  I
recently installed ubuntu on my laptop and my desktop and both worked
great.  However after a couple of restarts it boots up to the splash,
but no login box is shown.  This happens on both my laptop and my
desktop on karmic and lucid 10.04.  I can ctrl+alt+f1 and login fine.
I stop gdm and startx to get the gui going and everything works fine.
However, the applets do not load.   I have tried numerous solutions
found on the web such as setting the
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i915.modeset=1" and turning off power
management.

The laptop uses integrated intel graphics.  The desktop uses an ati
radeon, I've tried turning on and off the drivers.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.