Computer does not recognize iso in CD

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:22:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Sherman Willden
<pedalsteel.e9b6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you to all who helped. I did burn the iso and now the files exist on a
> CD but I haven't tried to install it yet. I can see it on this computer that
> I am typing on now so all appears to be fine. Now one other question. When I
> do install Ubuntu on the other computer will Ubuntu ask if I want to format
> the existing hard drive? That is what I want to do. Remove Windows and have
> Linux only on the host.

I hope you don't mean that you can see the .iso file on the CD -- you
won't be able to boot off of that.  You should see a number of folders
with names like casper, dists, install, etc... and a few files with
names like md5sum.txt and README.diskdefines.  If you don't see those
files, then the CD did not burn correctly.  Go back and read
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto for tips on how to
burn the CD correctly.

To answer your question about formatting the existing hard drive, the
answer is: yes you can reformat the hard drive and install Ubuntu over
whatever is currently installed there.  For more information, read the
installation guide at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation.

--wpd