Windows Rant

chris chevhq at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 22:22:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 15:41 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 07/11/2010 03:33 PM, Michael Pavling wrote:

> >>          Nope 1960 about. By 1990 the Internet was Everywhere.
> >>

> > *blinks*
> >
> > okay.... I'm going to bookmark this thread for anyone considering
> > taking your advice in future.
> >
> > I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but what you just said about your
> > "computer in storage" is wrong on *every* point; from hardware specs
> > to software to price... (assuming you maintain that this is a machine
> > that was in existence before 1990)
> >
> > If you *insist* that this is a machine you had in THE NINETEEN
> > SIXTIES!!!! then I'm happy to call you a big fat liar for posterity to
> > store for ever (and I don't take the risk of libelling someone
> > lightly).
> >

>          Call me a liar and have a good time. I keep a lawyer on call
> for people like you.
>
> It could have been late 60's way back before now.
>

> 73 Karl

late 60's, we were putting together breadboard circuits and writing our
own operating systems. It was an occasion for a beer if we got anything
to boot.
I remember in 1960, the first mainframe coming in NZ, for the
government.  An early IBM second hand.  Can't remember the specks now,
but I think my first Sanyo AT had more main memory.
One of my mates went to the States to learn to programme for it.  A
quite difficult version of unix, but I could be wrong about that.
Seem to recall, it wasn't long after that that Fortran and Cobol started
to appear.
Cheers the kiwi