Windows Rant

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 11 22:36:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:22:08 +1200
chris <chevhq at gmail.com> wrote:

> late 60's, we were putting together breadboard circuits and writing
> our own operating systems. It was an occasion for a beer if we got
> anything to boot.
> I remember in 1960, the first mainframe coming in NZ, for the
> government.  An early IBM second hand.  Can't remember the specks now,
> but I think my first Sanyo AT had more main memory.
> One of my mates went to the States to learn to programme for it.  A
> quite difficult version of unix, but I could be wrong about that.
> Seem to recall, it wasn't long after that that Fortran and Cobol
> started to appear.

It ran OS/360 (no /360 or /370 ever ran UNIX, AFAICR); later on /360s
started to run MFT and MVT; from this point on we started the road to
the current zOS/MVS and OS/VS1 (which, I think, were still used a few
years ago). It is said that at the core of zOS you can still see an
emulator for the earlier IBM machines (I do not even remember their
code anymore, 703?). And yes, usually you would have a (very) few
hundred KBytes of main memory -- between 100 and 300K). And these were
the systems we called 'mainframes' at the time, requiring massive power
and cooling and quite some racks.

Fortran and Cobol come from the 1950s-early 60s.

But, anyway, there was no machine with 16MBytes of main memory in the
60s -- and if it did exist, it would have costed a quite some million
dollars, just for the memory.