screensaver freezes system totally

pete peter.smout at o2.co.uk
Sat Jul 10 09:45:20 UTC 2010

On 07/07/10 14:56, A. Kromic wrote:
> On 05/07/10 13:25, pete wrote:
>>
>> Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it
>> freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing left is
>> a hard reset!

> I have experienced a similar problem, it's 10.04 AMD64, an I use Compiz
> and screensaver was 3D; however, my GPU is Intel's. It doesn't really
> lock the whole system, just the screen, and even like that, windows
> temporarily showed when I used Alt+Tab. They wouldn't stay, but it was
> enough to bring up a terminal window and blindly pkill the screensaver...
>
> Best regards,
> A. Kromic

Hi,

This problem has reared it head again, his machine only had 'wobbly
windows' activated. good news this time i was there to check the logs!

the system log said it was running 'cron' as root then it stated that
'no one cares, try booting without irq module' prior to freeze up.

All of which means nothing except that we do care! a brief bit of
googleing only digs up posts from 2001 / 2002 and are far to technical
for me to follow!

so my question is this why has this old (?) problem resurfaced now and
only on his machine, would following such an outdated solution work on
newer versions?

any help at all we would be grateful!

Pete