Custom Live CD

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 9 15:53:26 UTC 2010

On 9 July 2010 14:59, Mark Widdicombe <mwiddicombe at shoprite.co.za> wrote:
>> You could try Linux Mint, which comes with the codecs pre-installed.
>> This won't help if you need to install graphics drivers and so on,
>> though. I think the bootable-USB-key route would be much more pleasant
>> for that.
>
> Thanks, I thought of that, but it doesn't solve the problem of the
> other software I need.

Yes it does (using a bootable USB key that is).  The trick is not to
load the installer onto the USB but to install Ubuntu itself onto it.
Then you can boot off the key and install any extra stuff you want.
This will go onto the key so when you plug it in and boot off it the
next time the new stuff will still be there.  It is just like plugging
in an alternative hard disk and booting off that.

Colin