Custom Live CD

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 14:04:18 UTC 2010

On 9 July 2010 14:59, Mark Widdicombe <mwiddicombe at shoprite.co.za> wrote:
>> You could try Linux Mint, which comes with the codecs pre-installed.
>> This won't help if you need to install graphics drivers and so on,
>> though. I think the bootable-USB-key route would be much more pleasant
>> for that.
>
> Thanks, I thought of that, but it doesn't solve the problem of the
> other software I need.
>

>> But more generally, speaking as a former IT Manager, this kind of
>> behaviour could we be against company computer-usage policies. I was
>> always very open to FOSS software and so on but some less enlightened
>> companies are not.
>>
>> You could well be risking dismissal by this. You could try arguing
>> sophistry - "I wasn't installing anything, I just rebooted" - but
>> without the b*llsh*t, you are talking about replacing the company's
>> mandated software with a new, completely different stack. This is
>> blatantly taking the mickey and many companies would fire you for
>> this, and frankly, even if I didn't agree with their policies, I would
>> not blame them for enforcing them.
>
> I would normally agree with you, but their opposition is not on the
> grounds of using non-mandated software, it is about their hardware.

Hmmm. OK. Surely this counts as using their hardware, though?

> No, as I pointed out the design of Windows leaves a lot to be desired and
> I can be a lot more productive with multiple desktops, decent terminals
> with vi so I can continue to edit files locally even if I'm not connected to
> the server and the standard UNIX tools like diff.

Microsoft do a free virtual-desktops tool for XP.

You can run a lot of what are now called "Portable apps" direct from
USB key, without installation - e.g. Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice,
VLC and many more. I would not be too surprised if you could find or
create portable versions of things like VIM.

e.g.
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508