Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 8 20:28:18 UTC 2010

On 07/08/2010 01:19 PM, Tim Henderson wrote:

>> When you say 'remotely', are you using VNC or similar to access the
>> other machine?
>>

> Currently we are using the Remote Desktop Manager to manage the machine.
>   We do however have an admin in place at the console of the other
> server/workstation/desktop.  He experiences the same issues as us which
> is the reason we remotely connected for testing.
>
> For sake of locations one is in CA and the other in NY.  Each were built
> with identical specifications.
>
> Tim H.

That's what I thought...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126?comments=all>
[Compiz / vnc screen refresh with nvidia-restricted
driver/VirtualBox/ATI fglrx driver using X.org]

Long read, sorry. Temporarily turn off compiz at both sides are what
many recommend. However, I found that I can leave compiz on (in nearly
all situations) via gconf-editor:
/desktop/gnome/remote_access/disable_xdamage
if I run into similar.
===
If true, we will not use the XDamage extension of X.org. This extension
does not work properly on some video drivers when using 3D effects.
Disabling it will make vino work on these environments with a slower
rendering as side effect.
====