Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

Tim Henderson bizdev at pwnspeak.com
Fri Jul 9 01:00:09 UTC 2010

On 07/08/10 16:28, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 01:19 PM, Tim Henderson wrote:
>>>
>>> When you say 'remotely', are you using VNC or similar to access the
>>> other machine?
>>>

>> Currently we are using the Remote Desktop Manager to manage the machine.
>>    We do however have an admin in place at the console of the other
>> server/workstation/desktop.  He experiences the same issues as us which
>> is the reason we remotely connected for testing.
>>
>> For sake of locations one is in CA and the other in NY.  Each were built
>> with identical specifications.
>>
>> Tim H.
>
> That's what I thought...
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126?comments=all>
> [Compiz / vnc screen refresh with nvidia-restricted
> driver/VirtualBox/ATI fglrx driver using X.org]
>
> Long read, sorry. Temporarily turn off compiz at both sides are what
> many recommend. However, I found that I can leave compiz on (in nearly
> all situations) via gconf-editor:
> /desktop/gnome/remote_access/disable_xdamage
> if I run into similar.
> ===
> If true, we will not use the XDamage extension of X.org. This extension
> does not work properly on some video drivers when using 3D effects.
> Disabling it will make vino work on these environments with a slower
> rendering as side effect.
> ====

Disabling xdamage seem to have broken the vino-server, disallowing
access.  Perhaps that setting is deprecated or removed in the latest?
Regardless we have built a new HDD for the server and we are going to
ship to hypothetical CA for more testing.

I'll be sure to post if we see any changes.

Thanks,
Tim H.