My next Workstation

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:51:11 UTC 2010

On 8 July 2010 16:19, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
<francisco.diaztrepat at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope you don't mind me asking this here:
>
> Hi guys, I'm currently in the process of researching some hardware for my
> next ubuntu workstation.
> My goal is to spend between 500 and 600 uds

What are "uds"? Do you mean US$?

> and I want to put some enfasis
> on what I think is the current bottle neck of speed this days, and that is
> Hard Drives.
> I would like to have a RAID array to have better performance.

You mean RAID0? Waste of money. Doesn't really help much and doubles
the risk of failure. If you want disk performance, get an SSD boot
drive. Disable swap. Keep /home on rotating media. 1TB drives are
quite cheap now. Consider a motherboard with SATA 6gig.

> I am thinking in getting Intel 2 Core Quad 8300 processor.

The Core2 line is past it now.  Core i7 is the modern performance range.

> other choices too. Because Ubuntu is more focus on software/fake RAID I
> would like a multicore processor, and 64bit arch sounds good too.

All modern CPUs are 64-bit. RAID is for redundancy in servers, not performance.

> So right now my options looks something like this:
> Processor   Intel Core 2 Quad 8300
> RAM         1 X 2gb DDR2 800mhz

2 sticks for dual-channel operation on low-end processors, 3 sticks
for triple-channel on Core i7. 2GB is small these days; 4GB is a
working minimum, 6GB for Core i7.

You seem to be trying to specify a medium-to-high end machine from
2006-2007. Hint: it's 2010 now.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508