My next Workstation

Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail francisco.diaztrepat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:19:12 UTC 2010

I hope you don't mind me asking this here:

Hi guys, I'm currently in the process of researching some hardware for my
next ubuntu workstation.

My goal is to spend between 500 and 600 uds, and I want to put some enfasis
on what I think is the current bottle neck of speed this days, and that is
Hard Drives.

I would like to have a RAID array to have better performance.

I am thinking in getting Intel 2 Core Quad 8300 processor. But I am open to
other choices too. Because Ubuntu is more focus on software/fake RAID I
would like a multicore processor, and 64bit arch sounds good too.

So right now my options looks something like this:

Processor   Intel Core 2 Quad 8300
RAM         1 X 2gb DDR2 800mhz
Mother      Intel Dg43gt
HD          2 X 500gb SATA 3.0Gb/s

If I could I would like more drives in RAID.
And if possible real RAID?
     I found about this controller: Syba PCI Express SATA II 4 x Ports RAID
Controller Card SY-PEX40008
     PCI Express with transfer rate 2.5 Gb/s Full Duplex channel. Fully Plug
& Play compatible. Supports Raid function 0, 1, 5, 10. SATA II Interface

I had some people comments about AMD but I am kind of unfamiliar and I
thought the Quad was a nice processor but that it used to be too overpriced.

Any comments guides or recommendations would be great, I feel a bit in the
dark with this and would surely appreciate some guidance.

Regards,
f(t)